2021 State Cup UPDATE

It is both deflating and disappointing to have to advise our community of the postponement of the 2021 State Cup.

As many would be aware, a significant rain event has impacted NSW and Queensland over the past week.

This has had a presence in the mid-north coast region over the last four days, with over 138mls falling.

On Thursday, November 25 Council contacted the NSWTA raising concerns about the conditions of the fields.

The NSWTA then made their way to the venue on Friday, November 26, to assess the playing conditions with Council.

What was immediately evident is the venue had reached saturation point.

Surface water is not being absorbed into the ground, nor is it evaporating due to the inclement weather.

There are many areas with significant pooling of water visible to the naked eye.

On walking the entire venue with Council, it was assessed that approximately 80% of the venue resembled a rice paddy field with surface water sitting on the ground, which was noticeably soft and unstable underfoot.

Had the event been this weekend, the view of the groundsman who has worked the venue for 30 years is that we would have lost all but 6 fields at the end of Friday’s play.

While the forecast rain levels vary based on the authority presenting them, what is consistent is the predictions for rain from now until Saturday, December 4.

A Board meeting was held early this morning to review the assessment and make an informed decision based on the best available evidence, predicted weather patterns for the next week, and the likelihood of completing over 600 adult games.

It was felt that in the best interest of our members and the sport to make an early decision that the event will not
proceed next weekend, rather it will be postponed.

It is acknowledged the devasting impact this will have on our community, who have demonstrated genuine excitement in playing in the Cup after such a hard last six months.

The NSWTA shares the same emotion for our members and the work already undertaken to present the opportunity to get back on the park.

The new date will be March 25-27 in Port Macquarie.

Registration fees will be held over for the new date.

Should any registered participant not be able to attend the revised date those registration fees will be refunded.

A briefing with affiliates will take place next week concerning forward planning.

Best wishes and stay safe.

Dean Russell – General Manager

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest